Thursday, May 16, 2013

13 weeks!

Being 13 weeks pregnant is totally crazy! All my triathlon friends are still hard at work training (and many are racing on Saturday), but I'm at home not joining in the fun. I've been walking and doing a few swims, but I still miss the feeling of working out. 
12 weeks 6 days, Mother's Day at Canyon Lake
Luckily I got to talk with my friend Damie last night for a while. She's also pregnant and a triathlete. She's quite a bit further along than I am, but she went through a lot of the same things I've been going through. Talking with Damie helped me see that it's OK to just be walking and swimming, and it's OK to miss the pre-pregnancy training and time with friends. We can take that break that everyone always says they want, but when it's time for it no one actually takes it.

So, following Damie's lead, I'm going to be OK with being a pregnant mommy and not a pregnant triathlete. On those days that I feel great, I'll do something. On days that I don't feel great, I'll just do whatever I feel like I can do (if anything). I'll be sitting at home "cooking a baby" and enjoying my time on the sidelines. When I come back, I'll have a bunch of motivation and drive. I'll support my friends at their races and know that I'll be back out there soon enough. Now is the time to focus on the baby and enjoy the time away. Triathlon and running training will be back before I know it.

Thank you Damie!



3 comments:

Damie said...

awww!!! you are so sweet. I LOVE this! And, today, I just did a short masters swim (2000 yards), and have just spent the rest of the day loving being pregnant. honestly!!!! So excited for you!!!!!!!!!! while the middle seems to drag, now that the end is here, it is going so fast!

The Friedecks said...

Awe I know how you feel. When the baby gets here and you train with the baby it will feel like even a bigger accomplishment. Then before you know it you an your peanut will do their first ironman together! I can't wait to do things like that with Hudson. You will be an amazing mother and an amazing role model for tri-ing hard hehe. I love you!!

Kris Cordova said...

I've been missing you as a workout buddy - luckily I get to take some time away now too. Since the only viable alternative to working out 15 hours a week is to shop, this could become an expensive "recovery period." Join me? ;)